Happy March! I can’t believe this year has gone by so quickly. We only have 3 and 1/2 more months of school, wow!
I would like to congratulate our Science Fair winners!
1st place - Max - Clouds
2nd place - Gavin - Rethink your Drink!
3rd place - Kathleen - Why is Water not Equal?
1st place - Ksenia - The Dancer Powerful Force
2nd place - Vanessa - Do You Hear What I Hear?
3rd place - An - Volcanic Eruptions
1st place - Lily - The Big Deal
2nd place - Jayden - Bouncing Helium at All New Heights
3rd place - Jacob - Hooper Heights
1st place - Atticus - House of Cards
2nd place - Angeline - Wind Beneath My Blades
2nd place - Emerald and Katie - Boys vs. Girls vs. Reading
3rd place - Cardin - Dark Beverage; The Tooth’s Worst
Thank you Ms. Huynh and Mr. Hertzfeldt for all your work in making our Science Fair a huge success!
- On February 17th we had the power outage at our school. We were instructed to release the students at 12:15. We learned a lot that day. Hopefully it won’t happen again, but it was an emergency, so we just don’t know. If another emergency happens again AND we are able to stay in our building, we will be holding the students in their classrooms until someone on their emergency list comes into the office to pick them up. We also learned some emergency phone numbers were out of service. Please make sure we have current contact information for you or someone who is able and willing to pick up your child. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
- This month we will be celebrating Dr. Seuss’s birthday and promoting reading at the same time. On Thursday, we will be reading all day. Some teachers will be partnering up with other teachers so the students can read to each other. We will also have a team of retired teachers reading to our classes during the day. On Friday, the students will be working on literacy activities during the day. Please carry this over during the evening. Please ask your child to read to you or someone else in your home or over the phone. Please have your child write a very small summary of the books they read so they can take an AR quiz when they return to school.
- In thinking about next year, I’m asking how parents feel about uniforms. Do you feel we need to have uniforms? Please take a really quick survey to give your input on your thoughts. I want to see what everyone thinks about it before anything is changed. If we decide to do away with uniforms, we will still have guidelines on regular clothing.
School Uniform Survey
- Our popcorn fundraiser was a great success. I believe we have made enough money to cover the cost of the garden. Thank you for all your support!! We will be selling See's candy this month. The money from this sale will help pay for our Multi-Cultural Event. When it is all set-up, we will send out more information in a flyer.
- Lastly, I’m still in search of a few ELAC members and a representative for our Superintendent's Advisory committee. Please email me if you are interested in joining these groups.
Important Dates For March
2 - Dr. Seuss’s Birthday Read Aloud Day
3 - Dr. Seuss’s Activity Day
7 - Sylvandale Sports Field Trip
9 - Student Council
13 - Sees Candy Fundraiser Begins
14 - 1:00 Release Day for optional parent conference
15 - 1:00 Release Day for optional parent conference
16 - Sylvandale Sports Field Trip
17 - Spirit Day
21 - Picture Day - FREE DRESS
22 - 12:00 Release Day
31 - 8:30 Successful Student Assembly
Have a wonderful March!!